Jul 17, 2010

July 15th, 2010 (another day in paradise)


July 15th, 2010:


I woke up last night to turn down the lamps, while walking around outside I noticed that it was slightly lighter than it usually is. I could actually see in the dark to

some extent. Although there was no moon out, the trees gave off slight shadows. I thought "Thats odd for 2 or 3 AM", I checked my watch it was 5 AM. Up in

these northern climes it starts getting light at 5 AM and Darkness sets in at 10 AM. During the solstice, add another 20 minutes to both ends. The down side is

Christmas time, when its still dark at 7AM and Dark again at 5:30 PM. I noticed the changes when I first moved here, other people who came up here with me

didnt notice a thing.


I stayed up till 2 AM the previous night drinking whiskey and giving the canyon a concert with my voice and guitar. Even heard clapping from a campsite 1/2 mile

away. So I hit the sack for 6 more hours and made a huge cup of coffee around 11AM. I noticed while camping w/o a schedule makes me slow down a lot. At

I might spend 15 minutes drinking coffee, Out here I took an hour an a half. I might spend 10 minutes thinking about where the stove is, another 5 to get up and

get it, another 10 minutes to pour the water and turn the stove on, ect. Since I absolutely have no place to go or anything to do today, I find it a luxury to waste

so much time. This morning before leaving the camper, I looked out the window and saw a 4 foot long coachwhip snake (fast bastards), sprinting across my

parking lot totally losing the pissed off ground squirrel that was chasing it. I didnt notice that he had a baby squirrel in his mouth. The mama groundsquirrel,

only chased it half way across the area before running back to its nest to check on the remaining young. 5 seconds later I see a baby mouse sized ground

squirrel, retracing the snakes route, and running home to mom. The snake was so afraid of mama, that he must have dropped it. Hell, the snake was big

enough to eat the mother as well, but she put up quite a bluff. This is the most amazing thing i've ever witnessed on a camping trip.


After a breakfast of Ravioli from a can, I realized that I had about 4 hours of what I call "shit time", the hottest part of the day, where there is little shade. I spent

todays "shit time" reading, scanning the cliffs for lions and goats with binoculars, reading from of "How to Write" book, and began re-reading the book

"Comanche Moon" which I last read about 6 months ago. I also listened to a mix of music I made two years ago on my little "SanDisk" music player, which I must

admit is the best mix I've ever created, although the songs range from Rock, Jazz, Rap, Punk, alternative, and country, all the songs fit together seamlessly

and some were favorite songs I didn't know I still had, or existed,. Finding songs like that are like visits from old friends. "Shit time" is a good time for reading,

listening to music, or sleeping. The Spanish tradition of "Siesta" involves putting "shit time" to good use. Us Northern European decent folks find the time ideal

for working ones arses off. I'm sure has to do with the Northern Climate, their "shit time" is often the warmest part of the year,during the winters. In Utah, there are

only 2 months that have "Shit time", but being a Texan, I am naturally prone to observe shit time in the early afternoons. I can't wait till I move to Southern

China some day. They observe the "Siesta".


2 hours from the end of "Shit Time" I drifted off to sleep, and had several bizarre, yet fun dreams. I would wake, whenever an insect bit or stung me, then return

to sleep after rubbing the bug bite. Mainly biting flys and tiny stinging wasps, but I only got bit or stung every 15 minutes, so I had 8 different dreams, but one

actually recontinued after waking up. The bugs here are nothing compared to South Texas, but I might try some repellent tomorrow, since the wasps kindof hurt!


Around 4 PM "Shit time is coming to an end, the shadows are much longer, and I begin to set this evenings festivities in motion. Since I don't drink heavy two

nights in a row anymore, I wont need to get ice today. I do have some tonic water, v8 juice and a bottle of cheap gin, only the bottles are in 60 degree water

I used most of the ice last night with my whisky and cokes. At least I quit drinking all that beer. Beer is just too expensive and gives me gout. I had a bloody

and felt good enough to get dinner ready to start cooking, then I started writing this but my poor apple battery is down to 34 percent, which means Im going to be

shut off in about ten minutes. Tonites dinner is refried beans on tortillas, cooked in a frying pan, that covered in sour cream, and pace picante sauce. Simple

fare like this tastes like a gourmet meal when cooked outdoors. I will close now, but hopefully write somemore later tonite.


Please pardon the lines, the color Blue, and all the other issues of this blog. Seems that I can't figure

out how to use Apples word processor, nor am I good at using Blogger. I need a secretary.

No comments:

Post a Comment